The international tennis tournament "St. Petersburg Open" is a unique project which
aims to popularize tennis not only in the city but also throughout the entire country,
and to create a sports event attracting increasing numbers of world-famous participants
as well as thousands of spectators.
At the present there are only two large international tennis tournaments in Russia:
"St. Petersburg Open" and "Kremlin Cup".
Russia's Northern Capital was not chosen at random as the location of such an event.
St.Petersburg has a number of distinct advantages over other cities, including:
- The unique economic situation of the second Russian megalopolis; large concentrations
- Proximity to borders with European countries and the largest seaport in the Northwest,
factors which may attract sources of finance from abroad
- A rich historical and cultural heritage which has always attracted large numbers of
Russian and foreign tourists
- A lack of comparable international annual sport events in the region
- Popular interest in tennis, development of amateur and advanced organizations, a large
number of sports schools for children and young adults, however, a lack of professional
- Support of the project from the Government of the City of St. Petersburg, which has
become interested in the presence within the city of a popular-athletic enterprise on
an international level
- The use of the project's owner of personnel who have experience in organizing tennis
events, not only on a local level, such as the yearly Championship of Russia, The Trade
Unions' Cup, commercial tournaments, The Treasure of Russia, The Lyuokon Corporation,
exhibition matches of The Russia Cup, but also the organization and operation of matches
of The Davis Cup, and also participation in preparation for The Kremlin Cup
- The tournament will be conducted in the St. Petersburg SCC (Sport Concert Complex),
the largest such arena in Europe, which has a well-developed infrastructure and a maximum
of conveniences for spectators
- Wide variety of advertising services accorded to the tournament, satisfying any requests
from potential sponsors
- Significant number of firms which are regular sponsors of this enterprise.
- Presence of supplementary programs which are aimed at increasing interest in the
tourney throughout the entire year, among tennis fans, sponsors and investors